8/09/2015

Lowry Lurks in Rose Shadow

Getty Images
Shane Lowry is looking forward to the final round of the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational after carding a three under par 67 on Saturday.

The 28 year old heads into the last day of the tournament on seven under par, two shots behind co-leaders Justin Rose and Jim Furyk.

Lowry's third round got off to a solid start, with birdies at the second and fourth holes taking him to the turn in 33.

He made another gain at the 11th and came within a shot of the lead after his fourth birdie of the day on the 12th, but he bogeyed the next two holes before a birdie on the 16th sent him to within two shots of the co-leaders.

He said: "I'm pretty happy. There were a couple of slip ups on the back nine, but all in all I played quite nice. 

"I gave myself a couple of chances coming in. It would have been nice to hole that one on the last but I'm right where I want to be going into tomorrow.

"I'm looking forward to it. It is a big event and I have a chance of going out there and doing something special.

"My game has been good for a couple of years now. I feel like I'm driving the ball quite well.

"If I can hole a few putts, I can do something special. 

"I just need to go out and do my own thing, chill out in the morning and get out there and hopefully do something good."

Englishman Ian Poulter is among a group of four players two shots further behind Lowry after he carded seven birdies and two bogeys on his way to an impressive 65 on Saturday.

The Ryder Cup star began his round with four birdies in the first six holes before a bogey on the seventh slowed his charge.

Three birdies and another bogey on the back nine saw him climb to joint fourth, along with Steven Bowditch, Bubba Watson and Henrik Stenson.

Stenson carded five birdies and three bogeys as he posted a two under par 68 on Saturday.

Graeme McDowell and Brooks Koepka are among those another shot back on four under after firing 69 and 68 respectively on day three.

McDowell is pleased with the progress he has made in recent weeks. He said: "I'm really happy with the leaps I've made the last few weeks. My game is really turning the corner in a positive way, so I'm really happy. 

"This is a testing golf course off the tee. I haven't hit enough fairways, but it's getting there with the rest of the stuff. 

"It all bodes well for tomorrow. I am looking forward to it and going into next week."


No comments:

Post a Comment