8/22/2016

Lowry Hopes to make it in Denmark


Shane Lowry has become the latest high-profile European Tour star to join the field for this month’s Made in Denmark, as the Irishman attempts to play his way into Europe’s team for The 2016 Ryder Cup.

It will be a maiden appearance for Lowry at Denmark’s only European Tour event, which this year has the honour of being the final counting event for the 41st edition of The Ryder Cup, due to be staged at Hazeltine National, in Minnesota, from September 30-October 2.

The 29 year old is relishing the opportunity of making a late case for inclusion in Captain Darren Clarke’s team when the third edition of the tournament takes place at Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort, from August 25-28.

“I can’t wait to get to Denmark for what could be a big week for me,” said the three-time European Tour winner. “I’m determined to play my way onto The Ryder Cup team, so it was a fairly easy decision for me to play that week, and one I hope will pay off.

“I’ve heard great things about this event and especially the fans, which suits me as I love playing in front of big crowds. So hopefully I can show them what I’m capable of, and peak at just the right time.”

Lowry is joined in the field by his fellow Irishman Clarke, who will have more than just his own game on his mind as he finalises his team for Hazeltine.

Martin Kaymer, another player chasing a wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup, will also make his Made in Denmark debut as the two-time Major winner hunts a 12th European Tour title.

Other Ryder Cup hopefuls in the field include Englishmen Matthew Fitzpatrick and Chris Wood, both of whom currently occupy automatic qualification spots; while home favourite Søren Kjeldsen will also be hoping to put on a strong showing in front of Captain Clarke as he too bids to secure a wildcard pick.


No comments:

Post a Comment