6/12/2013

Rory and Billy End Walker Row

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy appears to have settled his differences with Billy Horschel after playing a practice round with the American ahead of the US Open.

McIlroy and Horschel endured a bust-up at the 2007 Walker Cup, where the Northern Irishman vented his anger after their singles clash on the final day at Royal County Down.

"I was up against Horschel on the first day, too," McIlroy recalled the following year. "I messed up the last hole and lost to him. I wasn't happy. Then I got him again, twice, on the Sunday. His antics were really p****** me off.

"For example, he had hit a bunker shot at the 14th in our morning foursome. It was a great shot and finished inches from the cup. But he came running down the hill hollering at the top of his voice. He was so loud and obnoxious.

"Anyway, that outburst of his was probably the worst thing he could have done. In the second singles, I set out to be as loud as he was.

"On the first tee I ripped a drive up the middle, hit my seven-iron approach to maybe 15 feet - I was shouting 'Be good! Be good!' all the way - and holed the putt for an eagle.

"When the ball went in, I gave it the loudest 'Come on!' you've ever heard. I think he got the point."

McIlroy and Horschel appeared to be enjoying friendly conversation while playing eight holes alongside Tiger Woods, whose row with Sergio Garcia has dominated the build-up to the tournament.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment